The winter season has arrived and the cold has set in. We tend to remain in our homes, enjoying comfy meals and snuggling up to warm blankets. We don’t think much during these cold winter months about the integrity of our roofs. We would certainly notice if that roof failed us though! It is wise to ensure your roof holds up to its job so you can remain comfortable and cozy inside.
What are some things to consider about your roof even in the winter months? First, Great Falls has cold, long winters that linger on. Keeping your roof in tip-top shape is vital. Removing snow and ice from the rooftop does three things. It keeps extra weight off of the frame of your home, eliminates moisture and minimizes ice dams, and can bring you peace of mind as spring approaches.
What are some ways to remove the excess snow from your roof?
This useful rake is essential for easily and safely removing some excess snow from your roof. Make sure you purchase this tool from your local hardware store in the autumn time, as they may sell out quickly. A roof rake is an aluminum extension pole with a flat blade attached to the end for pulling the snow off of the rooftop.
Here are some tips when using a roof rake.
- Work with a partner. Snow removal in Great Falls area can be a hazardous task. Ask a friend to be present to assist.
- Dress warmly. You may build up a sweat but remember it is cold out there. Wear proper attire to prevent hypothermia or frostbite
- Stay on the ground, and do not use a ladder to remove the excess snow.
- Do not use a roof rake for second-story homes. This tool is only safely used for first-story homes.
- Work in small batches. Remove the snow closest to the edge, then extend higher.
Of course, if you have concerns about properly removing the excess snow from your roof, contact a professional. A-1 Contractors, Inc is just the skilled team to call! We have over 20 years of roofing experience and can tackle any job regardless of size or scope with the utmost professionalism. We are not satisfied until you are 100% pleased with our work. We have the tools and knowledge to remove the excess snow and weight from your roof to prevent future damage.
This is an item that should be installed previous to the winter season for best results. These cables are placed on your roof in a zigzag pattern, then plugged into a safe GFCI unit. The heat from these cables slowly melts away the ice and snow, preventing ice dams from forming. The wire only gets warm enough to reduce the snow and ice. It will not harm your roofing system. Once again, if you do not feel comfortable installing these on your roof, ask a professional for assistance.
Of course, the DIY homeowner may get ambitious to tackle the excess snow on the rooftop themselves. Please keep these in mind as you move forward.
- Do not use metal shovels to remove the excess snow. This could damage your roof.
- Don’t pile the snow onto one area of your roof. The extra weight can be too much for the support system.
- Be careful of where the snow lands. Snow can be quite heavy, so use caution.
- Wear safety gear and ask a friend for assistance.
- Refrain from using salt on your roof. The minerals can cause damage to your roofing system.
Winter is going to happen, there is no doubt about it. Having a safe system in place to remove the excess snow can help keep your home safe and secure as the cold winter months pass.
Trust a local professional team to inspect and assess your roof! A-1 Contractors is here to assist in keeping your roof safe and secure! We have 24-hour emergency service available if that snow gets too heavy and creates damage. Call us today and let’s work together to prevent potential winter damage.
We are here to help!